Saturday, August 23, 2014

Robert Knapp: Mathematics is About the World: How Ayn Rand's Theory of Concepts . . . .






Robert Knapp (ex brother-in law of Shoshana Milgram, future Rand biographer) has a book out about mathematics. He is associated with the Ayn Rand Institute.

Well, the books just keep on coming, don't they?  I don't see how you can get 532 pages on mathematical theory from Ayn Rand's theory of concepts, but what do I know.

Certainly things have changed for the better in terms of books by Objectivist writers.  There was next to nothing not too long ago.


3 comments:

David said...

"I don't see how you can get 532 pages on mathematical theory from Ayn Rand's theory of concepts, but what do I know." Indeed. Is the reasoning like this: "Introduction to Epistemology was a thin book, not thick book. Knapp has written a thick book, not a think book. So how can its fundamental ideas be informed by the thin book"?

David said...

think > thin

Anonymous said...

Somewhere in the mid-1990s, The Intellectual Activist published a long essay about the proper, rational basis of mathematical concepts. After about 6 pages of densely-syntaxed Objectivese (including speculations about the thought processes of cavemen), the authors sprang their bombshell, the ultimate principle underlying the entire edifice of human achievement. It was separate-paragraphed and bolded, as I recall:

1 = 1

I canceled my subscription the same day.

I suspect that this book is something very similar.